Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Internet Worries

While watching the documentary about the internet, I was again reminded of the dangers which come with technology. One of the things that really stood out to me, was the pert of the documentary was Sara’s story. It makes me really distressed to see that some many kids are like Sara who feel as though they need the internet as an outlet to be their real selves. While I understand that junior high and high school is a difficult time for students to be themselves, I find it absolutely depressing that the students can more easily tell other people they don’t know their problems, but they can’t even tell their parents.

After reading Lisa’s blog (http://lisaillinois2010.blogspot.com/) I was reminded of a story that affected a good friend of my sister. This is similar to Even Skinner’s story in the documentary. My sister’s friend was a very involved Senior on her high school poms team. One night, she was at a party with some friends and there was underage drinking occurring. My sister’s friend was in a picture holding a beer can. Without her knowledge, the pictures were posted on Facebook and the faculty of her school found out about the pictures. My sister’s friend was kicked off the team for the remainder of the season. It just goes to show that you never know who is watching. While technology can be useful, it is also a hindrance. Also, as an English major, plagiarism is a major problem at the University level. I think that the internet is a major contributor to making plagiarism easier for students.

No comments: